If you have questions, please contact:
Kennedy Center Accessibility
In partnership with Ivymount School & Programs, the University of the Sciences in Philadelphia, and the Smithsonian Institution Accessibility Program, the Kennedy Center presents a free, by-invitation-only pilot performance designed to create a sensory-friendly theater experience that is welcoming to all families!
This performance is sold out. If you would like to be added to a mailing list to receive announcements about sensory-friendly programming at the Center, please contact the Accessibility Office at 202-416-8727 (voice/relay) or email@example.com.
Written, performed, and produced by David Gonzalez
Sunday, April 15 at 11:00 a.m.
In the Kennedy Center’s Family Theater
We have several social stories to help you and your family get ready for your visit to the Kennedy Center! Choose the one that will work for you:
Features of This Performance:
- Lights will remain up in the theater during the performance, reduction of strobe lighting focused on the audience
- Lower volume and consistent sound level (no jarring sounds)
- General admission seating with plenty of empty seats provided for audience space/comfort
- Patrons are free to talk and leave their seats during the performance, laugh, dance, sing and shout!
- Short performance time (lasting approximately one hour with no intermission)
- Designated quiet areas near the Family Theater entrance; and space throughout the theater for standing and movement
- Limited crowds and visitors at the Kennedy Center during the day and timing of the scheduled performance
- Kennedy Center staff trained to be inviting and accommodating to families' needs
- Accessible family bathrooms
- The Kennedy Center is open to the public at 10:00 a.m.
- Tickets for the performance will be available beginning at 10:00 a.m. at the ticket table outside the Family Theater on Sunday, April 15.
- The Family Theater will open for seating at 10:30 a.m. on Sunday, April 15.
- With the exception of water in plastic bottles, food and drink are not permitted in the theater.
- Patrons are not allowed to take photos during the performance.
“Meet Your Seat” Open House
If you’re new to theater experiences, the Kennedy Center or you would just like to see the Family Theater before the performance on April 15, please join us for an open house on Friday, April 13 between 3 and 5 p.m.