Age range: Good for 7-12 grades
Estimated Time: Give yourself some time! This interactive takes about 1 hour to complete with activities.
Key Technology: You can use this on a computer or whiteboard—but you will need speakers (or headphones) for the music parts.
Subscribe to this video series:
In this video presentation, students meet one of American musical theater’s most talented composers, Stephen Schwartz. Topics include his musical education, his break into show business, and the creative process behind his musicals.
Viewing Strategy: As you view, stay focused on your purpose for viewing.
Before you get started, think of what you already know about musical theater. What shows have you seen before? Have you seen Wicked? What do you remember about it? Keep these things in mind as you explore the interactive.
- As you watch, thinking about Stephen Schwartz’s influences.
- As you listen, stop the audio track after each section to sum up what you have learned.
- This story is downloadable- grab it for repeated viewing.
- Describe Stephen’s background. How did he get into music?
- How did the musical Pippin come about? Describe Stephen’s process.
Analyze Stephen’s style. What are some elements that characterize his lyrics or melodic/musical style?
Quiz Yourself! Throughout his career, Stephen was influenced by the guidance or suggestions of several people. Who were some of them?
Dig Deeper! Check out some of these resources on Stephen Schwartz: