Opera Look-In: Moby-Dick
Washington National Opera
Introduce your students to the enchanting world of opera through an inside look at Jake Heggie and Gene Scheer’s Moby-Dick, a new opera of Herman Melville’s 19th-century literary masterwork. This narrated program includes fully staged scenes from this captivating new work. The creative team and technicians also take students behind-the-scenes for demonstrations of technical special effects, scene changes, costumes, make-up, and more!
View the Cuesheet performance guide online or use the resources below to go deeper.
- Be sure to check out Jake Heggie’s website to learn more about the opera's composer.
- Want more behind-the-scenes scoops on Moby-Dick? Visit the San Francisco Opera’s in-depth show page. Be sure to scroll down and click on the “Program Articles” tab for insightful interviews with members of the creative team.
- Go back to the source and read Herman Melville’s Moby-Dick in its entirety for free on American Literature.
- Discover more on the history of opera with Opera America. Also visit their Glossary of Terms to familiarize yourself with opera lingo.
- Get your opera on. Design your own production of the classic fairytale "Hansel and Gretel."