To print, select "Print" from your browser's File menu. Close this window when you are done to return to the screen-based version of the lesson.
The Composer and the Librettist
Language Arts, Performing Arts
|Subtopics:||Theater, Music, Literature|
|Intelligences Being Addressed:||Interpersonal, Musical/Rhythmic, Verbal/Linguistic|
|Dimensions of Learning:||Acquisition and integration of knowledge, Extension and refinement of knowledge, Meaningful use of knowledge|
Students will delve into the world of the composer and librettist. Their relationship to each other and to the opera is explored. Verdi and Piave's partnership is discussed along with the social and historical events that were occuring during their lives.
Black Dog Opera Library Series
video starring Pavoratti (Jean Pierre Ponelle film version)
|Student Supplies:||Pencil and paper|
|Teacher Internet Resources:||
and Extension-Specific Resources: See unit overview
General Internet Resources: See unit overview
Standards for Arts Education:
||Music 5-8, Standards 6, 7, 8, 9|
Students will understand the role of the composer and the librettist, and the social history during the time when Rigoletto was created.
1. Define the terms COMPOSER and LIBRETTIST. Ask the students if they can think of other areas in which people create things in partnership?
3. Read the information on the composer and the librettist at the end of this unit. What was happening in the world at the time of this writing? How did the situation in Italian politics at this time contribute to the writing of the opera?
4. Rigoletto was based upon a play by the famous French writer Victor Hugo. Hugo also wrote the book on which the musical Les Miserables was based. Can the students think of other times when books or plays have been turned into other art forms? Why do they think that people change these from one art form to another?
5. Hugo's play was originally called The King's Amusement. The government censors in Italy would not let the opera be written about a king? Why do the students think that this might be?
6. On a sheet of paper have the students list the advantages and disadvantages of working in a creative team.
Do students understand the relationship of the composer and the librettist to each other and to the opera?
Continue to lesson 7.
Black Dog Opera Series Rigoletto CD
|Submission Date:||November 1, 2000|
© ARTSEDGE, 2000