Théâtre des Bouffes du Nord
Hearts will be broken in this tragic tale of a wife’s betrayal and a husband’s revenge set in South Africa during the days of apartheid. The play’s setting of Sophiatown, a teeming township, is as much a character in the play as the unfortunate couple. Music underscores the action throughout.
View the Cuesheet performance guide online or use the resources below to go deeper.
- Be sure to check out the Théâtre des Bouffes du Nord’s website to discover more about the French theater company.
- The Suit is based on a short story by Can Themba. Discover more about the life and times of this celebrated South African writer at South African History Online.
- Get all the facts on apartheid on History.com.
- In the play, music is central to the storytelling. Tune in to the ARTSEDGE audio series Musical Theater in America to explore the many aspects of musical theater.
- Go the Kennedy Center’s website to find more programs from the 2013–14 season’s WORLD STAGES International Theater Festival.